Saturday, June 23, 2012

Americus Blog #2: Man vs. Americus


  Man vs. Americus
This past week in the heart of Americus I undertook a challenge of tasty proportions. Monroe’s Hotdogs has been a local staple of good American eats here in Americus for years. They have everything from hotdogs to hamburger steak to a chicken dog. Their main attraction, however, is a behemoth dish called the Scramble Dog. Weighing in around a pound to a pound and a half, the Scramble Dog is a massive dish filled with two red hot hotdogs smothered with chili, cheese, and a layer of cole slaw. At first glance it’s a lot to take in, but as soon as you start tearing into it you start to realize just how delicious it really is. I personally have never taken any kind of eating challenge. This wasn’t an official eating challenge, either, but the children’s minister here at Central Baptist, Kevin, told me and my friend David that if we ate the entire dish that, he would give us some free T-shirts from the church. Now, you know how college-aged students are. They will do just about anything for a free T-shirt. I wasn’t going to let this opportunity pass me by, either. So, I grabbed a fork and I got to it. The initial taste of the Scramble Dog was one of pure bliss. It was amazing. As time passed by, though, it got harder and harder. I’m not going to lie, there were moments when I didn’t think I was going to finish it.  With every bite it got harder and harder to go on and finish, but with endurance and stamina I finished the dish up and got my free T-shirts! It was worth it, but I don’t think I’ll be eating another Scramble Dog any time soon.
On a more serious note, this past week has been amazing. My fellow missionaries and I worked with some college students from Central and the children’s minister to put on a backyard Bible club at a local park. We played games with the five consistent kids that we had, and we just loved on them and told them about the death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior. It was such a great experience. We were also able to minister to some adults who would just be passing by the park, too. It has been great here in Americus. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts, and please be in prayer for us as we gear up for our mission trip to Louisiana. God is great and greatly to be praised. All glory to His name.
                                                                                                                                                In Christ,
                                                                                                                                                                Derek Hale 

No comments:

Post a Comment